So you want to start a club?
That’s great! Clubs are an excellent way to bring people with similar interests together!
First things first. Do you know what is ratifying a club? That means formally registering your club at SABVC. Here are the 5 steps you will need to follow:
1. Envision a New Club
Plan out the purpose and vision for this new club. What will the goal of your club be? How is it different from existing clubs? What will the club’s name be?
2. Find Members and Club Executives
You will need minimum of 8 members and 3 club executives – President, Vice-President, and Treasurer – to start your club.
3. Complete the Student Club Ratification Application
4. Meet with SABVC Staff
5. Await Approval by Student’s Council
Club representatives are welcome to attend the Students’ Council meeting where your application will be reviewed for ratification.
Requirements for Ratification
In order to ratify, there are a few requirements that clubs must meet. Please check all the requirements and other important information (e.g. clubs representatives, start-up grant, benefits and services for clubs, etc.) in the Clubs Policy and Clubs Procedures. If you have any questions, please contact our SABVC Clubs Representative.
Club Executive members responsibilities
Each club must have at least three Executive members – President, Vice-President, and Treasurer. Each Executive is a signing authority for the club and its functions. One Executive of the club must be designated as the SABVC liaison who will be the main contact for our SABVC Clubs Representative.
The President does not hold power to make decisions for the group but rather ensures that:
- The club operates according to the guidelines of its constitution, and some agreed upon guidelines for running a meeting;
- The club works towards its objectives as agreed upon by the membership; and
- The next President is trained.
- Records of what the group has done are maintained, distributed and are accessible to all the members;
- Minutes/notes are taken at all meetings;
- All club correspondence is monitored, and brought to the attention of the appropriate person(s);
- The duties of the President are undertaken in their absence; and
- The next Vice-President is trained
The Treasurer is responsible for:
- The account and distribution of grant money from SABVC and all financial transactions for the club;
- Ensuring timely submission of all receipts to our SABVC Clubs Representative;
- Ensuring that the next Treasurer is trained,
*note: Executives are responsible for collecting and handling club members’ personal information with respect to PIPA – Personal Information Protection Act, Alberta.*
PRESIDENT AND TREASURER TO BE PAID AN HONORARIUM BY SABVC
Clubs President and Treasurer to be paid $100 each semester as an honorarium if the club has met the pre-determined criteria outlined by SABVC.
Club executives will be paid towards the end of each semester.
- The club executive will have to maintain the same position for the entire semester to be paid by SABVC. Also, the club executive can only hold one position at a time.
- The club will need to host club monthly meetings for each semester (for example: Winter 2021 semester Monthly meeting for each month from January to April)
- The club treasurer will need to provide monthly meeting minutes for each of the club’s open sessions.
- The club should have at least one event in a semester.
- The club will need to provide a semester report to SABVC.
- SABVC will provide assistance and communicate with the members of the team of the club.
- SABVC will post the club information on their website and SABVC app to assist with promotion.
- SABVC will provide an appreciation certificate to club executives at the end of each year.
- SABVC will host a lunch for club’s executives as a sign of gratitude.
Clubs Application Package
Now that you have all information you need to start your club, please complete the SABVC Clubs Ratification Application and develop a club constitution. Once you are done, contact our SABVC Clubs Representative to book a meeting and go over all documents before you submit your application package to Students’ Council approval.